Friday 26 February 2010

Getting Started - January 2009

The Georgian period spans from 1714 to 1830 charting the reign of King George I, II, III & IV and encompasses the Regency period. 

It was a time of social change and new influences brought about exciting developments in architecture.  There were many people of great influence during this period and you will certainly have heard of the names. 

Most notably there was the architect Robert Adam; Capability Brown the landscape designer; the artists John Constable and Thomas Gainsborough and the furniture makers George Hepplewhite & Thomas Chippendale.  Jane Austin also wrote about this period in her novels. 

I wanted to try and be as accurate as possible with my Georgian dolls house but it is harder than it looks!

For a start, you have several different and unique periods and styles during the Georgian era from early Georgian simplicity to Regency grandeur.

I started by doing some research on the internet and with books.  I also asked on The Dolls House Emporium forum. 

Most people seem to favour the Victorian period as this is more widely known and more miniature furniture is Victorian style. 

I found some good reference books either by searching or as recommendations.  If, like me, you want to do a Georgian dolls house these books are worth a look:

The Georgian Group Book of the Georgian House by Steven Parissien

Georgian House Style Handbook by Ingrid Cranfield

Once I had done some research, which I must admit, took longer than it could have as I was nervous about making mistakes, I got started.....

No comments:

Post a Comment