Wednesday 17 April 2013

Nest Box Cam...

Something a little different from me today.  I have waited 5 years.  Blue Tits have toyed with us for the last few years, showing interest, the male going in the box and the female having none of it!

This year we saw activity again and kept out fingers crossed and with great excitement this week we switched the camera on to see several pieces of moss had been brought in.  The last 2 days they've been really busy and tonight I switched on the camera again and this is what I saw....

Nest Box Cam
Nest Box Cam
What is fascinating to me is that they are obviously building the nest from the front towards the back.  I have cleaned out several next boxes in the past when a kid and Blue Tits have a very thick nest of moss  and then they line the center with downy feathers.  

I always assumed that they built the nest in layers, so covered the base and worked up.  This obviously isn't the case from what we can see here.  

I have watched Springwatch for many years and you never see these kind of images as they always time it so the Blue Tits have eggs and are feeding chicks, which I understand because that is what viewers want to see but I'm fascinating to see this building process and finally find out what is happening when these cute little birds disappear into the box!




1 comment:

  1. Birds are always interesting to watch. A box cam would be a great thing to use to see what they are up to. IndyPoppy

    ReplyDelete